Ever look at the Lat Pull down machine and wonder how to use it or why? This machine primarily targets the lats with supporting muscle groups including biceps, middle back and shoulders. Check out the directions and video to ensure correct use.
Incorrect Technique - Lat Pull down
- Behind the neck variation is not recommended as it can be hard on the rotator cuff due to the hyperextension created by bringing the bar behind the neck.
Correct Technique - Lat Pull-down
- Sit down on a pull down machine with a wide bar attached to the top pulley. You can either put the pad over the top of your legs or move it up out of the way to engage your core.
- Grab the handle with your palms facing forward using a wide grip. Your hands need to be spaced out at a distance wider than shoulder width.
- Start with arms extended and lean back slightly, keep chest up ('y' position). Pull the bar down to your collarbone, squeezing your shoulder blades together ('w' position). Proper breathing for this portion of the movement is to exhale.
- Slowly return to the starting position ('y') and repeat for 8-12 repetitions. Proper breathing technique for this portion of the movement is to inhale.