As we transition into the glorious summer months in Minnesota, we start dreaming of warm nights on the deck or roasting s'mores around the backyard bonfire. We also begin planning fun day trips to keep us active and exploring new, fun places. Here's a list of 10 ideas for you and the family to enjoy these summer days around the southeast Minnesota region.
- Trail Systems: The Douglas, Zumbro and Root River trails are just a few of the local trails around the area which include a paved trail, water views and colorful landscape on which to run, walk, rollerblade or bike.
- Honkers Baseball Game: Going to a Twins game is a great time as well, but if you have little ones and want a more relaxed environment, a local Honkers game is the way to go. Tickets can be purchased online or at the park and range from about $8-$30 per seat.
- Movies in the Park: The movies are free to attend and play on June 17, July 15, August 5 & 19 at Central Park. Movie titles: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (PG), Cool Runnings (PG), The Secret Life of Pets (PG) and Rogue One (PG-13), respectively.
- Pools & Beaches: Options include Soldiers Field pool, Silver Lake pool and Foster Arend Beach. These are all great ways to embrace the warm summer weather! Click here for more information about hours and pricing.
- Trolley Tours: Choose from many different types of trolley tours that will take you around the Rochester area. You can choose from a wine trail along the Mississippi River, local microbrewery tour, historic Rochester tours, a garden tour and many more!
- Thursdays on 1st: Rochester’s restaurant scene takes it to the streets on Thursdays during the summer running June 1-August 31 from 11am-8:30pm. Enjoy live music, good eats and fun attractions for the family during the day and evening.
- Lanesboro: The Bed & Breakfast capital of Minnesota, Lanesboro sits just southeast of Rochester and includes fun restaurants and ice cream parlors. They have great bike/running paths and tubing or kayaking down the river.
- Oxbow Park and Zollman Zoo: Explore scenic hiking trails, a campground and a number of wildlife animals in our neighboring town of Byron. It’s a great place for families to make a day or afternoon trip and free admission.
- Chester Woods Park: There is a variety of sports and leisure activities to participate in at Chester Woods. From kayaking to fishing to lounging on the beach, this location will not disappoint, especially for just $5/car daily.
- Heritage Classic: Mayo Clinic’s annual 5k family walk/run event will be held this year on Saturday, September 23 at Soldier’s Field Memorial Park in Rochester. Stay tuned for more details coming up!
For more fun events, use the Rochester Events website to find even more local events & activities. Have fun, and enjoy these long summer days!
Tags: actiivity, Blog, rochester, Rochester activities, Summer Activities, summer ideas, top 10, Uncategorized