The Mediterranean diet is a nutritious way of eating. It has also been recognized that the Mediterranean lifestyle - being physically active, taking time to enjoy meals with friends and family may be of equal benefit to our health.
Give it a try.
- Plants - Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- Fats - Use oils such as olive and nut (or whole nuts and spreads) and less margarine or butter
- Flavor - Use herbs and spices and less salt
- Protein - Eat more fish, legumes, poultry and less red meat
- Drink - If you drink alcoholic beverages, consider red wine (in moderation). If you don't drink alcohol, don't start.
Want more specifics on the Mediterranean diet and making it fit your lifestyle: